Sunday, September 22, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V

The wait is over

The guys that brought us Lemmings way back when has finally loosed onto the world the newest iteration of, and pinnacle of sandbox games, Grand Theft Auto.

O, happy day.

I don't think i'm going to fully review it, but here are some details:

Largest Rockstar world to date. Larger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and GTA4 ... COMBINED.

The world is entirely open from the start. This is new to the series, as, previously, new islands would unlock as if they were the next "level."

Three unique characters, each with his own special abilty:

character banner

Michael -- A "retired" bank robber in need of a big score. Michael can slow down time while shooting.
Franklyn -- A gangbanger without a gang, wanting to graduate to more serious offerings. Franklyn can slow down time while driving.
Trevor -- Michael's best friend from his heisting days and complete psychopath. Trevor goes berserk and takes half damage while dealing double.

These features come together so beautifully. I wasn't so sure about the three protagonists, at first. That isn't to say i thought it would be done poorly. No. I just figured I'd choose one character (probably Michael) and ignore the rest, except for missions.

I was wrong.

I actually favor Franklyn's ability, because the driving is stupendous. But I play as each character because they are all simply fun. I roleplay as the characters, actually. I race through town in a car as Franklyn. I try to appear sophisticated as Michael. I have no qualms about getting massacrey as Trevor.

trevor


A Day in the Life

One of the neatest things about the game is the act of switching characters. It isn't a "now I'm this guy" kind of change, but a "let's see what's going on" kind of change.

When you are one character, the other two are doing their own thing their own way wherever else they are.

So, while I'm making deliveries for the medicinal marijuana dispensary I purchased as Franklyn, Michael may be lounging by the pool at his house or watching an action flick at the cinema. Or, hey be getting screamed at by his kids.

jimmy

When you switch to a another character, you take over them in whatever activity they were currently doing, which can add loads of fun and interesting moments.

WWTD

As stated, Trevor is psychotic. Previews leading up to the release showed off a Trevor switch in which you wake up on the beach. In your underwear. Covered in blood. Surrounded by the corpses of The Lost Motorcycle Club members.

I have yet to encounter this, but that's not to say I haven't had some fun:

My first switch had me waking up with a slight buzz on railroad tracks just in time to get out of the path of the train.

Another time, I found Trevor on the the end of pier pointing his gun at some nameless schmuck begging for his life.

I woke up, in my underwear, beside a pool in rich subdivision. I approached whom I assumed to be the owners. They did not like that I was in my undies.

My favorite character switch moment, though, was cruising down the freeway on my Vespa (in game brand is Faggio), singing to my best friend beside me. My Scooter Brother.



Some features I did not go over:

A stock market that you can manipulate. Invest in a car company, then destroy cars owned by the competitor. Yay, money.
Hobbies, including darts, yoga, hunting, triathalons.
A fully explorable ocean, complete with sharks and buried treasure.
Hidden stuff galore to collect, such as space ship parts and pieces of a murder confession.

It is a phenomenal game, and I cannot wait for the stories I make when the online portion is opened up.

No comments:

Post a Comment