Sunday, September 11, 2011

Friday Night Magic Part 2

I participated in my second FNM, last night, at Game Emporium. I used my black deck mentioned previously, with, I believe, a few changes.

I had to leave after the fourth (out of five) round, however, to pick up my lovely wife from work; I didn't do horrible, though I did better two weeks ago. This time, I came out 50/50, winning two rounds and losing two.

I had a couple of dramatic plays, though:

One opponent was playing an infect deck that had very few creature spells. I have a large number of cards that involve creature destruction and buffing/debuffing, so those spells can be of little effect against a deck like his. I have a particular creature called tormented soul that attacks for only 1, but cannot be blocked. This card has a cost of only 1, so is quite effective when I can put him out my first turn, followed by my bloodthirst minions.

Bloodthirst allows me to place a +1/+1 counter on specific creatures if the opponent player had been dealt damage earlier in that turn. This is why tormented soul is so handy, as it cannot be blocked.

At one point, I had a couple vampires with bloodthirst on the board with power/toughness at 3+1/1+1. I needed to act fast, as my opponent had been poisoning me, and all I had was a card that put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, and allowed me then proliferate. Proliferate means to increase any counter by 1. I decided to place it on one of my vampires, making him a 3+1-1/1+1-1. The +s and -s are separate, so they do not make each pther disappear; therefore, I was able to increase the +s, making him a 3+2-1/1+2-1, and my other vampire a 3+2/1+2, giving me enough power to defeat him.



Another round had a similar play, but, instead of debuffing my own creature, I had an instant spell that destroyed a creature and proliferated. I used him on a creature my opponent was attacking with, which got rid of one of his potential blockers, securing the victory.



I decided To make up a new deck, as well. Staying true to what I am experienced with, I made a Red deck, though I know it needs some tweaks. Particularly, very few people are fond of Scrambleverse.



I like to have randomness in games. In Smash Bros., I cannot fathom how people can find no items/Final Destination to be fun. It takes all of the variables to work around out. This card takes all cards on the board (minus lands), puts them in a pile, and forces you to flip a coin to see who gets control of those cards. It could win the game for me or completely destroy me, and I think that sounds like fun.

I definitely need to get more cards for this deck. At least one more scrambleverse, as I only have one.

            
Black/Red (60)Black (60)Red (60)
Lands
3 Dragonskull Summit
9 Mountain
7 Swamp
22 Swamp22 Mountain
Creatures
3 Blood Ogre
2 Bloodrage Vampire
4 Duskhunter Bat
3 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Stormblood Berserker
3 Tormented Soul
3 Vampire Outcasts
3 Bloodrage Vampire
4 Duskhunter Bat
4 Phyrexian Rager
3 Sengir Vampire
4 Tormented Soul
3 Vampire Outcasts
2 Flameblast Dragon
4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Fireslinger
1 Grim lavamancer
2 Manic Vandal
4 Stormblood Berserker
2 Volcanic Dragon
1 Warstorm Surge
Spells
4 Doom Blade
4 Incinerate
1 Red Sun's Zenith
4 Shock
2 Dark Favor
4 Doom Blade
3 Geth's Verdict
4 Grim Affliction
4 Spread the Sickness
3 Chandra's Outrage
2 Concussive Bolt
3 Fireball
4 Incinerate
1 Red Sun's Zenith
1 Scrambleverse
4 Shock
Sideboard
N/ASB: 3 Child of Night
SB: 4 Deathmark
SB: 4 Horrifying Revelation
SB: 3 Mind Rot
N/A

Also, a bit off the subject, but I discovered why I cannot play Modnation Racers online: After many months of searching, I discovered that my router is actually completely incompatible with the game. The Westell 7500 series routers do not work. These are the routers that Verizon rents out to their customers, along with a Gateway router. I called to inquire about switching routers, and they told me there would be a $60 or $70 charge. I asked, "With that price, that of course means it is mine to own?"

No. I would still have to pay rental fees. That's dumb, so, now, I have to go find a new router. At least I have a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment